CRAIG JAMES FIELDER
RedHat Certified Systems Administrator and AWS Certified Solutions Architect with over three years of experience in the systems administration field focused on using Ansible and Python to streamline operations.
Professional Work Experience
Senior DevOps Engineer - Juvare (October 2018-Current)
Worked with the DevOps team to implement automated solutions to support SaaS products for emergency incident management.
- Single-handedly devised and implemented system and platform monitoring using Datadog, including notifications, log aggregation, and end-user dashboards.
- Wrote AWS Lambda functions to supplement automation efforts, such as mail forwarding through AWS SES and auto-tagging of AWS resources.
- Migrated infrastructure from on-prem to the cloud using Terraform for infrastructure as code and Ansible for configuration management.
- Maintained and extended automated deployments using Ansible.
- Managed multiple AWS services such as EC2, Security Groups, VPCs, Lambda, IAM, and RDS.
- Interviewed candidates to determine technical ability and growth potential.
- Wrote flexable and reusable Terraform modules to deploy instances, subnets, load balancers, etc.
- Deployed and maintained infrastructure using IaC.
- Created and maintained base Linux AMI's according to CIS standards using Ansible and Hashicorp Packer.
- Wrote unit tests using Goss to validate server configurations.
- Setup Trend Micro Deep Security policies and deployed the agent across the entire Linux infrastructure.
Systems Administrator - ETRADE Financial (July 2017-October 2018)
Worked in the systems administration team to manage thousands of RHEL, CentOS, and Solaris systems and support the critical batch processing system.
- Developed and maintained bash and forward-thinking python2 scripts, including restart script generator, load balancer querying, package file checksum verification, log retriever, restart script generator, taking the time needed to complete these processes from upwards of an hour to seconds.
- Participated in the deployment process for the entire ETrade stack deploying updates and patches using Puppet.
- Conducted candidate interviews identifying core competencies, technical aptitude, and critical thinking skills.
- Created and maintained metadata using version control systems (Git, Subversion) that integrated with the ETrade configuration management system.
- Ensure that primary tasks of the shift were completed as scheduled including checking on integral batch jobs and dealing with failed backups.
- Tracked the critical batch process for slow-running and troublesome jobs, ensuring that all critical jobs completed successfully and on-time each shift.
- Communicated with other departments using the Atlassian tool suite (Jira, Bitbucket) to resolve repeated issues.
- Handled day-to-day alerts and verify that ongoing issues were handled by the proper department.
- Checked dashboards of principal infrastructure and dealt with any servers in error.
- Performed the weekly restart process to recycle critical services of the infrastructure.
Tier II Systems Administrator - National Net (April 2016-July 2017)
Worked as full-time systems administrator with a small team to deploy and maintain over 1000 Debian, CentOS, and FreeBSD servers providing a web hosting platform to customers. Duties included customer support, taking/restoring backups, handling alerts for customer and internal servers, and other related tasks.
- Troubleshot server and application related issues with analysis of CLI commands and server logs and implemented solutions to secure continued functionality.
- Supported managed and colocated customers by communicating in a ticketing system and over the phone to expand their services and ensure uptime.
- Planned short and long-term projects with the customer based on the objectives and requirements of the desired service.
- Designed and programmed scripts to perform frequent and calendared tasks.
- Worked extensively with LAMP and LEMP stacks to deliver customer content to users, including single-instances as well as clustered environments.
- Composed company knowledge base articles and updated older material to standardize and keep information relevant.
Technical Support Engineer - Price Telecommunications (October 2015-March 2016)
Worked in a multifaceted company providing technical support for desktop Windows systems, managed technological services, and setting up telecommunications and wireless networking solutions to both residential and commercial customers.
- Deployed and maintained Ubuntu cloud servers according to client needs.
- Troubleshot user issues with managed systems on site and remotely over the phone.
- Configured and installed Ubiquiti routers, switches, and access points in both residential and commercial settings.
- Installed and serviced VOIP and POTS phone systems including Polycom and Panasonic.
- Answered and directed phone calls pinpointing customer information and content.
- Webstack: Apache, Nginx, PHP-FPM, Wordpress
- Databases: Postgresql, MySQL
- CI/CD: Ansible, Jenkins, Git, Terraform
- Programming Languages: Python, C, Go
- Monitoring: Datadog, Nagios, Netcool
- Software development: Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence
Bachelor Of Business Administration in Information Systems Kennesaw State University
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator
- CompTIA Linux+
- LPIC-1: Linux Administrator
- Linux Essentials
- SUSE Certified Linux Administrator